On 8 December 2020, Pope Francis in his Apostolic Letter Patris Corde
declared a Year of St. Joseph
that will run from 8 December 2020-8 December 2021.
The Apostolic Penitentiary has proclaimed special plenary indulgences for the year.
In order to obtain a plenary indulgence, the usual conditions are required: performance of said work (of the several listed below), sacramental Confession, reception of Holy Communion, prayer for the intentions of the Holy Father. The soul should be detached of any sin. It is best to receive Communion and pray for the intentions of the Holy Father the day the indulgenced work is done, however, according to the most recent Church guidelines
“it is sufficient that these sacred rites and prayers be carried out within several days (about 20) before or after the indulgenced act.” The Apostolic Penitentiary has also taken into account the worldwide situation regarding the health crisis. The office stated the “gift of the plenary indulgence is particularly extended to the elderly, the sick, the dying and all those who for legitimate reasons are unable to leave the house, who with a soul detached from any sin and with the intention of fulfilling, as soon as possible, the three usual conditions, in their own home or where the impediment holds them, they will recite an act of piety in honor of St. Joseph, trust in God the pains and discomforts of their life.”
Indulgenced Works for the Year of St. Joseph include:
- At least 30 minutes of meditation on the Our Father, or, participation in a spiritual retreat of at least one day that includes a meditation on St. Joseph
- Performing a spiritual or corporal work of mercy
- Praying the Holy Rosary with your family. An couple preparing for Holy Matrimony may also gain this indulgence by praying the Rosary together.
- Praying daily to entrust all activities and request protection to St. Joseph:
- Prayer of Entrustment to St Joseph
by Fr. John A. Hardon, S.J.Dearest St. Joseph,
I consecrate myself to your service. I give myself to you, that you may always be my father, my protector, and my guide in the way of salvation. Obtain for me a great purity of heart, a fervent love of the interior life, and the spirit of prayer.
After your example may I do all my actions for the greater glory of God, in union with the Divine Heart of Jesus and the Immaculate Heart of Mary. And you, blessed St. Joseph, pray for me, that I may share in the peace and joy of your holy death.
- Pray the Litany of St. Joseph for the Persecuted Church (both from within and without) and for all persecuted Christians
- Recitation of any approved prayer or act of piety in honor of St. Joseph for example the “To you, O Blessed Joseph” prayer especially on his feast days of 19 March and 1 May and also on the Feast of the Holy Family, the 19th of each month and Wednesdays – traditionally dedication to St. Joseph
A great website to read more about the indulgences for the Year of St. Joseph may be found here.
EWTN: Year of St. Jospeh, What Catholics Need to Know
EWTN: 15 Ways to gain a plenary indulgence for the Year of St. Joseph